Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple Crumble











Many years ago, I was in a sorority in college.  At the end of the year, we put together cookbooks and each girl got to take one home.  There was a recipe similar to this in my cookbook...however over the years I seem to have lost the cookbook.  Who knows where it could be, but one place it isn't is my recipe cupboard.  Oh well, that meant that now I had to try to figure it out on my own.  

After a few tries, I think I got it right!  This dessert is perfect for a crisp fall night.  Believe me, you will want to make this over and over again.


Ingredients:

5 medium apples - pealed, cored, and diced
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter at room temperature


Place your diced apples is a shallow baking dish.  You can use a 9x13 or any other dish of similar size.

Sprinkle the cinnamon and salt on top of the apples. 





Now pour the water on top and stir to distribute all that cinnamon.  Be careful not to spill those apples.





In a separate bowl, add flour, sugar and butter.  

Notice that I'm not using any oats.  That's why this is a crumble and not a crisp.  I'm sure if you like oats you can think of a way to incorporate them.  However,  give this a try first.  I think you'll like it just the way it is.   Anyway.....





Using a fork or a pastry cutter, mix until a crumbly mixture forms.






Sprinkle the flour mixture on top of the apples.  You can lightly press down if you need to, but really you should be just fine sprinkling it evenly over the top.







Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Your apples should be nice and tender and the topping crisp and golden.





Serve while warm, and add some vanilla ice cream or a huge scoop of fresh whipped cream.  Believe me, you will be coming back for seconds!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...