Monday, March 21, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken Bowl



Last night for dinner I wanted to make Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs.

I marinated my chicken...I diced my vegetables...and I pulled out my skewers - only to discover that I didn't have enough skewers. So I had to improvise.

Instead of putting it all on cute wooden sticks, I pulled out my wok and started to cook. This is what I came up with. It actually turned out really great.


Ingredients:

Marinade
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 clove garlic
1 Tb. oil
1 tsp. ginger

2 to 3 large chicken breasts - cut in 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks


Vegetables
2 small zucchini cut into 1 inch chunks
1 onion - chunked
1 red pepper - chunked
1 can diced pineapple - drained (reserve juice)

Rice
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups rice


Mix together Marinade ingredients. Add chicken chunks and marinade 4 hours or overnight.

Cook that rice. If you have a rice cooker, great. I prefer to do it the old fashioned way - add the water and rice to a pan. Bring to a boil and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, add that marinaded chicken to a large wok. You don't need to add oil because there was already some in the marinade. Cook the chicken for about 3 minutes and then add all the vegetables (except the pineapple). Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Add about 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt. Once the chicken is almost done, add the pineapple. Cook until the pineapple is heated through.

I added my pineapple at the same time, and it was still good, but there was a lot of juice at the bottom of the wok. If this happens to you, take a little of your reserved pineapple juice (about 3 Tbs) and add 1 Tbs of corn starch. Mix it together in a bowl and then add it to your wok. It will thicken up that liquid in the bottom and give you a nice sauce on your meat.

Once your pineapple is warm and your chicken is done, you are ready to eat. Slap some rice down on that plate and then pile it high with teriyaki chicken. I absolutely love the chicken/pineapple combo. Maybe next time I'll just do pineapple and leave out all those vegetables....who need them anyway, right?


*As a side note, this fed my family of 6 but we ate every last bit of it. If you want to make a larger batch, just add more chicken to the marinade.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I found your recipe blog from facebook. This one looks really yummy! I'll have to try it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...