Thursday, September 8, 2011

Roasted Potatoes


Growing up in Idaho, I absolutely love potatoes. So, I was grateful that there were some in my basket last week. I decided to make a family favorite - Roasted Potatoes!

Now...have you ever known someone that just throws all the ingredients together, never telling you how much of this or how much of that to add to it? You know - that person that drives you nuts?! Well, today I'm going to be that person. But don't worry....with only 4 ingredients it's near to impossible to mess up these potatoes.



Ingredients:

Potatoes - preferably red or yukon (russets aren't quite as good for this)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Additional Seasonings - optional


Wash and scrub your potatoes. Cut into 1 inch uniform chunks. Place potatoes on a cookie sheet. You know your own family, so only do as many potatoes as you think your family will eat.




Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes. For an entire cookie sheet of potatoes, I usually use about 2 Tablespoons (more or less) of oil. Once you've drizzled it on, use your hands to toss the potatoes.

Now it's time for some salt! Potatoes always need salt, and sometimes you might feel like you're using too much. But, those potatoes need it - just remember that.

Sprinkle on the salt, the pepper, and any additional seasonings you like. I decided to use my remaining Mrs. Dash - I had about 1 tsp. You could also use fresh chopped rosemary.




After the seasonings are all sprinkled on, you're going to need to get those hands dirty again. Use your hands to toss and mix the potatoes. This will evenly coat each one with all the seasonings.




The key to roasting these potatoes is the high temperature. Cook them at 415 degrees for about 20 minutes. I have heard to push that up to 425, but I've not tried that - if you do, let me know how it goes.

This next step is completely optional, but I will help to give the potatoes a golden look.

After the potatoes are nice and tender (use a fork to test them), turn up the oven to Broil and cooked them an additional 3 to 5 minutes to give them a more golden brown appearance.




Remove the potatoes from the oven. Allow them to cool slightly and then place in a serving dish. They will be really hot, so let them cool slightly before serving.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...